Music Single Vocational A Level (BTEC Extended Certificate)
If you want to be a musician or a singer or just have a passion for performing then this could be the course for you? We are looking for students who love playing and listening to different styles of music, and who want to learn via a practical ‘hands on’ pathway? This is a vocational course with a wealth of practical opportunities for performance which will challenge you and help you become a confident musician and or vocalist.
Students will be expected to have a minimum of two GCSEs at grade 6 and three GCSEs at grade 4 including English Language and Mathematics at grade 4. This course may be taken alongside A Level courses and may be more suited to learners with a strong profile of prior attainment in vocational studies. GCSE Music or BTEC Level 2 Music, a proficiency (Grade 4 or equivalent) on a musical instrument or the ability to sing at a similar grade will be an advantage. Rockschool qualifications will also be accepted.
• Very practical course with creative lessons featuring a range of teaching styles
• Hands on experience in the art of performance skills and performing techniques
• Studying and playing certain musical styles like rock and pop music
• Develop your own instrumental or vocal skills
• Opportunity to experience solo and ensemble performance
• Access to our industry standard recording studio
• Basic and essential musical theory
• The subject is worth 1 A-Level
• Excellent performance opportunities
• Assessment is through a mixture of coursework and practical assessment, no written exams.
• You also have the opportunity to study other A-Levels alongside this subject.
All components are assessed internally as coursework, both written and practical. Component 1: composition unit. Components 2 & 3: performance and written assignments.
Enrichment and Work Experience
We have a fantastic enrichment programme you can get involved with in order to have some fun and also develop your skills and compliment your studies. Enrichment opportunities include:
• College soul band
• Rock Bands
• Musical Theatre Productions
• Friday Foyer Performances
• Brass Ensemble (playing a variety of music from Christmas to Film Music)
• Music Technology / creating music
Students will need to bring their instruments into college on a regular basis during the course as all of the units have practical and performance elements.
Links with other subjects:
Music blends well with many subject including Music Technology, Performing Arts, Drama, Maths, English, IT and Computing.
Future Career Opportunities
Performing, professional singer and songwriter, teaching, music publishing, music journalism and media, music technology and research.
Why Study at BSFC?
You will be taught by a professional musician who plays for the renowned Black Dyke Band. He has won the European, National and British Open titles on numerous occasions and performed at Glastonbury in 2017. We have excellent facilities for you to learn and perform in, including state-of-the-art sound and recording studios and a theatre for performances. Music to us is more than just a subject - it’s our passion! If you share this passion then we invite you to join us and be with like-minded people who are all striving to reach the same goal. We expect our students to be committed to College and our course and we promise to provide you with all the help and support you need to succeed.