Music Technology Single Vocational A Level (BTEC Extended Certificate)
This course is specifically designed for students who enjoy music and learning about music production and technology. This course provides students with the opportunity to be creative with music production and explore how to use industry equipment and programmes to create music for various projects. You will work with professionals in our industry standard recording studios and rehearsal rooms. Want to be a DJ or make your own music? This course caters for many career paths as you will cover a range of units catered for your needs to succeed in the world of Music Technology.
Students will be expected to have a minimum of two GCSEs at grade B/6 and three GCSEs at grade C/4 including English Language and Mathematics at grade 4. This course may be taken alongside A Level courses and may be more suited to learners with a strong profile of prior attainment in vocational studies. GCSE Music or BTEC Level 2 Music Technology, a proficiency (Grade 3 level or equivalent) on a musical instrument and the ability to read music will be an advantage.
• You will be taught by industry professionals
• Have opportunities to visit music concerts and Expos
• Use our industry standard recording studios and rehearsal rooms
• Collaborate with musicians and singers
• Assessment is through a mixture of coursework and practical assessment and is equivalent to one A Level - no formal written exams
The units you will study may include:
• Music Production Techniques - recording, sound mixing and audio processing
• Sound Creation and Manipulation – synthesisers, sound design and sampling
• Music Technology in Performance
• Live Sound – learn about live sound engineering and technical management
• Music and Sound for Media – explore music for games, films and apps
• The Sound and music industry – how the record industry works
• Music composition
We have a fantastic enrichment programme you can get involved with in order to have some fun but also develop your skills and compliment your studies.
• College Jazz/soul and funk band, Choir ? Musical Theatre Productions
• Music Tech: creating music for film and media
• DJ skills and Live Performances
• Radio / Pod Cast
• Brass Band
Future Career Opportunities
Studying Music Technology can lead to careers within music production, studio recording, professional DJ work, live sound engineering, TV and film sound and sound design. You can also progress onto University.
Why Study at BSFC?
You will be taught by professionals who have experience within the recording industry and the world of Music Technology.
We have excellent facilities for you to learn and perform in, including state -of -the -art sound and recording studios. Music to us is more than just a subject - it’s our passion! If you share this passion then we invite you to join us and be with like-minded people who are all striving to reach the same goal. We expect our students to be committed to College and our course and we promise to provide you with all the help and support you need to succeed.