Music Technology Triple Vocational A Level (BTEC Extended Diploma)
This course is specifically designed for students who wish to progress into further education or a career in the Music and production industry. This is a vocational course which will provide plenty of professional ‘hands on’ teaching and experience. You will be taught by experienced teachers, in our state-of-the-art industry standard recording studios and rehearsal rooms. Want to be a DJ or make your own music? This course caters for many career paths as you will cover a range of units catered for your needs to succeed in the world of Music Technology.
Students will be expected to have five GCSEs at grade A*C/9-4, or a Merit in a relevant vocational Level 2 Diploma (or equivalent). In addition, students will need a grade 4 in GCSE English Language and a minimum grade 3 in Mathematics. GCSE Music or BTEC Level 2 Music Technology, a proficiency (Grade 3 level or equivalent) on a musical instrument and the ability to read music will be an advantage.
• You will be taught by industry professionals
• Have opportunities to visit music concerts and Expos
• Use our industry standard recording studios and rehearsal rooms
• Collaborate with musicians and singers
• Assessment is through a mixture of coursework and practical assessment and is equivalent to three A Levels - no formal written exams
The units you will study may include:
• Live Sound – learn about live sound engineering
• Music and Sound for Media – explore music for games, films and apps
• Music Production Techniques - recording, sound mixing and audio processing
• The Sound and music industry – how the record industry works
• Sound Creation and Manipulation – synthesisers, sound design and sampling
• Music composition
• DJ Performance techniques
• Concert production and staging
We have a fantastic enrichment programme you can get involved with in order to have some fun but also develop your skills and compliment your studies.
• College Jazz/soul and funk band, Choir
• Musical Theatre Productions
• Music Tech: creating music for film and media
• Friday Foyer DJ Performances
• Radio /Pod Cast
• Brass Band
Future Career Opportunities
Studying Music Technology can lead to careers within music production, studio recording, professional DJ work, live sound engineering, TV and Film sound and sound design. You can also progress onto University.
Why Study at BSFC?
You will be taught by professionals who have experience within the recording industry and the world of Music Technology.
We have excellent facilities for you to learn and perform in, including state-of-the-art sound and recording studios. Music to us is more than just a subject - it’s our passion! If you share this passion then we invite you to join us and be with like-minded people who are all striving to reach the same goal. We expect our students to be committed to College and our course and we promise to provide you with all the help and support you need to succeed.