Public Services (Uniformed) Triple Vocational A Level (BTEC Extended Diploma)
Would you like to develop the skills, discipline and knowledge required to equip you for a career in the Police, Fire Service, Ambulance Service, Prison Service, Army, Royal Navy, RAF or Royal Marines?
The triple vocational A Level in Public Services is an exciting and vibrant course that will provide you with the support and guidance you need to gain employment or for you to succeed in your application to university. You will cover a variety of units all directly relevant to working within the public services and have the opportunity to take part in various day and residential trips and participate in workshops with from numerous guest speakers.
Students will be expected to have five GCSEs at grade A*C/9-4, or a Merit in a relevant vocational Level 2 Diploma (or equivalent). In addition, students will need a grade 4 in GCSE English Language and a minimum grade 3 in Mathematics.
This two year course consists of 19 units including:
- Leadership and Teamwork in the Public Services
- Understanding Discipline in the Uniformed Public Services
- Physical Preparation, Health and Lifestyle for the Public Services
- Command and Control in the Uniformed Public Services
- Crime and its effects on society
- Responding to Emergency Services Incidents
- Police Power in the Public Services
You will develop a responsible and co-operative approach to working on your own and as part of a group, developing skills such as team work and communication alongside your academic skills. The course uses practical activities, presentations and involvement with local public services wherever possible to enhance the learning experience.
As part of this course you will have the opportunity to complete the Level 2 Gym Instructor course run by Focus training and is aimed at those hoping to pursue a career within the health and fitness industry. The course equips you with the skills, knowledge and understanding to work with gym users, helping them to reach their health and fitness goals. The qualification is nationally accredited and recognised throughout the UK and overseas.
Continually assessed through written assignments, projects, consultations, presentations and case studies.
Future Career Opportunities
This course is designed to educate and equip you with the knowledge and skills necessary for a career within the uniformed public services, including the Police, Fire Service, Army, Royal Navy, RAF, Royal Marines Commandos, Prison Service and Ambulance Service. The course is also excellent preparation if you wish to pursue higher education.
Why Study at BSFC?
- Opportunity to take part in residential and day trips
- Opportunity to take part in external awards such National Citizen Service (NCS) and Duke of Edinburgh Award
- Practical training sessions that will help prepare you for the demands of employment in the uniformed public services
- Activities undertaken to improve your problem solving, teamwork, leadership, communication and cohesion skills
- Great links with the local Police, Fire services, MPs, Prisons and the Armed Forces and key industry speakers