Women and Society Weekly Podcast with Martyn Cox the Deputy Leader of Bolton CouncilDate Posted: 18/06/2021 | Posted In: Enrichment, Student News
In this week’s ‘Weekly Pod’, we continued to explore and discuss how safe we feel on the streets of Bolton, following on from the sad news of the murder of Sarah Everard. So far, we have had conversations with our Vice-Chair of Governors, Carole Swarbrick about the work that she is doing as part of the Bolton Soroptimist Society to lobby the local council about their proposed safe cycling and walking routes. One of the suggestions from Carole, was for our students and staff to ask these questions ourselves of the local council and was very pleased to welcome guest Martyn Cox, Deputy Leader of Bolton Council.
Martyn explained, when prompted by first-years: Georgia Platt, Alina Ahmed, Sophie Crossley, Zaynab Patel and Zarah Ali that one of the many projects that the council is working on to ensure that more women in society feel safe is more well-lit streets as well as the growth of CCTV. He also explained that one of the councils focusses was to create and widen cycle lanes as part of the Greater Manchester Initiative.
During the Podcast, there was a great deal of complex and difficult questions brought forward from our students and staff such as:
- How is the council supporting women?
- Will the council introduce safe routes for the students who do not feel safe walking to and from the bus and train station?
- How long will the safer walking and cycling routes changes take to complete?
- The development of the regeneration project and why the council deemed the development around this part of town needed developing
- Will there be any further changes besides the safer cycle and walking routes by the council?
If you would like to hear how Martyn responds to these questions, then please listen to our latest Weekly Podcast and hear more from our students, staff and guest speakers HERE.
Stay up to date
Follow us to find out the latest news from our students, about our students, and events: