Mayor of Bolton Councillor Linda Thomas inspires students at B6 Women into Leadership programme launchDate Posted: 01/10/2021 | Posted In: Student News, Women into Leadership
Our students were delighted to meet the Mayor of Bolton, Councillor Linda Thomas this afternoon during a guest lecture on the pathways taken in her political career and how she makes her voice heard. The talk was inspirational and highly motivational for our young women who have opted to take part in the B6 Women into Leadership programme. The Mayor talked passionately about how she started out running a playgroup as a result of wanting to help other mothers in Bolton and how her work in the community has developed over the years. This was an amazing opportunity for our students; they thoroughly enjoyed the visit and appreciated the Mayor’s invaluable advice.
MORE ABOUT THE WOMEN INTO LEADERSHIP PROGRAMME
Whilst as a sixth form we recognise that we want to educate and develop all of our learners to their full potential, we also recognise that the world beyond sixth form sometimes delivers greater barriers for females. There still remains a cultural legacy of male leadership, something with our encouragement we hope our young females can begin to change over time.
In 2020/21 we began our Women and Society podcasts and we noted then in our discussions that women are very resilient. Maybe we are also too patient given that in the UK women only achieved the right to vote in 1918. This is where the resilience comes in as we continue to push for greater equality in all that we do. Our Women into Leadership is therefore not designed to discriminate the males , more to support our females to understand the landscape of the workplace, to be ambitious for themselves and each other, to try to change those legacy cultures for those of next generations and to genuinely lead for change.
The programme is open to everyone and you can access as little or as much as you would like. We would also like to develop the group in order that the opportunities that we provide as a sixth form are relevant to your needs.
WHAT’S ON OFFER?
- Dedicated TEAMS page with a wealth of materials, research and opportunities to support and discuss key topics
- A possible sub-committee on the Student Council
- Lecture series – one lecture per month from an inspiring visiting speaker who will give information and advice about career pursuit and personal development
- Workshops related to employability skills advertised throughout the year
- University visit/advice from an Admissions Officer
- Access to personal mentoring/coaching from a staff member or peer
- Podcasting – support our current group ‘Women and Society’ or look to create podcast material relevant to you/others
- ASE workshops. Additional workshops that consider the evidence of how girls typically study and revise and how this can be leveraged for greater impact
- Supporting Social Mobility workshops
- Managing social media – guidance and tips
- Social visit – looking through a new lens – museum visit
- Poetry and you – visit by local poet
- How to talk to parents – guidance on engaging parents with your plans
- Advice and guidance on financial support, funds, sponsorship and grants to support progression to higher education or training
Our planned visiting speakers come from all walks of life, have different backgrounds, life experiences and are different ages. What they are all keen to share is their personal journey, the barriers they may have encountered and how they overcame them and their plans for the future. They will also take questions from those attending.
Here are the staff members that you can approach to discuss your views, our provision or topics that you would like to discuss on the programme:
Sandra McManus – Vice Principal
Sarah Ball – Assistant Principal
Lata Patel – Teacher of Criminology/Sociology
Emily Dover – Careers
We would like to send the Mayor of Bolton, Councillor Linda Thomas a huge thank you for taking the time to speak with our students today and we look forward to welcoming our next visiting speaker on 05 November 2021.