Are you interested in joining the Police or want to gain an insight into Policing in England?
The Sixth Form Policing Academy is a 10-week programme designed to inspire, challenge and support students interested in joining the Police. It allows students to gain a practical understanding of the application process, initial training and life in the force.
Delivered by experienced former GMP officers the programme covers topics to develop your knowledge and understanding in a range of areas including: caution, arrest, burglary, theft, drugs and public order. You will also gain information and tips on the application process.
Students will take part in skill development exercises, gain an insight into the life of a new recruit and have the opportunity to undertake the Police entry tests. Interested students will be selected at the end of their first-year via an application and interview process. You must study either the Single or Triple Vocational A Level in Public Services to be eligible for selection.
Performing Arts Academy
The Performing Arts Academy (in association with the Octagon Theatre) will further enhance your studies and help you develop essential skills associated with performance. You will gain automatic entry to the Academy if you are enrolled on a Performing Arts course at The Sixth Form.
What can you expect?
• Exclusive workshops at the Octagon Theatre focusing on areas such as theatre design, directing and audition skills
• A range of visiting professional practitioners running workshops in The Sixth Form
• A chance to perform at large professional theatres such as The Albert Hall and The Z-arts Theatre in Manchester
• Mentoring programmes
• A chance to study for LAMDA exams (London Academy of Dramatic Arts) through Sterling Academy
• Free professional headshots
• Casting workshops
Don’t forget to follow @b6_performingarts on Instagram.
Are you passionate about Science? Are you aiming to excel in the field of Science? If you are likely to achieve five or more GCSEs at grades 7, 8 or 9 including Science and Mathematics subjects then you may wish to be considered for the Science Academy.
What is the Science Academy?
It forms part of the The Sixth Form’s Honours Programme. You will study two or more Science/Mathematics subjects at A Level (i.e. two subjects from Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics).
What can you expect?
• An opportunity to take the Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) on a science-related topic of your choice
• Involvement in university level laboratory practical activities
• Visits to the best universities as part of The Honours Programme
• Visits to science-related organisations and museums
• One-to-one coaching to achieve A/A* grades
• Coaching and mock interviews for Oxbridge applications
• Support to help with internships and work placements.
• Opportunity to participate in debates on science-related issues
The Futures Academy is a brilliant programme to prepare you for a career within the healthcare sector, achieve a valuable qualification and gain plenty of practical experience.
Are you interested in pursuing a career within Health Care? Are you studying Health and Social Care? If so, our Futures Academy is designed to boost your academic and career prospects.
The Academy offers a specialised one year programme of study for able and ambitious students who want to go far in health related industries by giving them a ‘competitive’ edge.
- Exposure to many employers and health related industries
- Experience a week long placement at a private hospital observing the patient cycle including the
observation of surgery*
- Masterclasses with leading NHS practitioners.
- Experience an overnight stay in London visiting various health related museums and lectures
including visits to The Florence Nightingale Museum, The Old Operating Theatre and
a West-end show*
- Trips to fantastic University taster days including Edge Hill and Salford, these days are tailored
especially for Futures Academy students*
- Free uniform provided with nurses watch and name badge
- Guest Speakers from a range of NHS professions
- Work placements at Beaumont Hospital where you will learn how patients are referred/admitted to the hospital and observe various departments such as radiography, physiotherapy, pharmacy and clinical governance*
- 90% of Futures Academy students embark on a health related degree course, (including nursing, midwifery and paramedic science)
Are you thinking of studying Law, a related subject at a top university, or going onto a legal apprenticeship after Sixth Form? Our Law Society will further enhance your studies and help you develop essential skills.
What can you expect?
• Start to develop the skills of a lawyer, including, thinking creatively, problem solving, presenting and persuasive arguments
• Attend workshops run by legal professionals and universities
• Participate in moots and mock trials, including as a member of the Sixth Form team in the prestigious University of Law Mooting Competition and the Bar National Mock Trial Competition – our Sixth Form were very successful in the competitions and won the mooting final hosted by the University of Law
Don’t forget to follow follow @BSFCLaw on Twitter.
Our Sports Academies offer you a fantastic opportunity to develop and excel in football and cricket. The Sixth Form has partnerships with Daisy Hill FC and the Bolton Cricket League and is supported by the Lancashire Cricket Board.